Factory and Warehousing Lighting: What Type is Best?
This entry was posted on February 09, 2023
What Type of Industrial Lighting is Best?
Choosing a type of industrial lighting for your warehouse or factory can be a difficult choice simply due to the plethora of options that are available. Of the three most popular options for warehouse and factory lighting: metal halide bulbs, florescent bulbs, or LEDs, the type of lighting that stands out the most for its numerous benefits are LEDs (but, we’ll get to those benefits later).
In this blog, we’ll give you a complete rundown of our favorite factory and warehouse lighting types, the factors to consider when choosing industrial lighting, and how you can get a complete full-service project lighting service for your warehouse or factory at Mars Electric.
Factory and Warehouse Light Fixtures
There are a variety of industrial lighting fixtures to choose from that operate in different ways; some are better for higher ceilings, some have better performance.
Here are our three favorite factory and warehouse light fixture options.
High bay lights are typically in the 20 – 45-foot range and are best for large industrial or commercial spaces with higher ceilings. The reason high bay lighting is recommended for these spaces is due to the direct light that is sent down to the floor, illuminating products and giving an overall clear, well-lit environment for employees trying to see, unload, or move stock.
When choosing between high bay lights, you’ll either want a round high bay light or a linear high bay light – both ideal options for larger spaces such as a manufacturing plant or an amphitheater. Linear high bay lights are long and rectangular, providing a more compact distribution of light over aisles and shelves, whereas round high bay lights have a wider beam, covering much larger areas.
Industrial strip lights are the ideal choice for smaller areas with a need for more even light distribution. This type of lighting is usually ceiling mounted and has a low profile – beneficial for retail locations or factory stairwells and hallways.
Troffer lights, also commonly referred to as drop-ceiling lights, are designed to be mounted onto standard T-bar grid ceilings and are optimal for large, indoor spaces, including warehouses or healthcare facilities. Their slim, low-profile means they’re able to distribute light evenly, while their diffuser helps to manage any glare.
Benefits of Using LED Warehouse Lighting
Compared to metal halide bulbs or florescent lights, LED lights offer far greater benefits and are the optimal choice for large spaces like a warehouse or factory.
Improved Energy Efficiency
When it comes to energy efficiency, LED light fixtures are able to produce the same bright, consistent light as non-LED lighting, yet they use up to 90% less energy, all while lasting 25x longer than traditional incandescent bulbs.
Reduction in Costs
Due to LED’s ability to consume less energy overall, they actually save money over time. Yes, their costs are higher upfront, but as OSHA Warehouse Lighting Requirements state that a minimum of two lumens per square foot is required, having a stable, long-lasting bulb is the better, cheaper option.
Easier to Maintain
As we mentioned, LED light fixtures end up being the less expensive option due to their longevity. Because they don’t need to be replaced as often, they’re the optimal choice for those with industrial spaces that want easy to maintain light fixtures.
Mars Electric Tip! – When you do eventually need to replace your LED light fixtures, their lightweight and streamlined design makes them one of the easiest fixtures to both install and replace. For more information about replacing your LED light fixtures, speak to one of our lighting experts today!
Better for the Environment
LED lights are often recyclable and don’t contain toxic chemicals like mercury or lead found in fluorescent and incandescent light bulbs, respectively. Because of this, they’re the safer choice when handling or disposing of.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Industrial Lighting
Here are three important factors to consider when choosing industrial lighting for your warehouse or factory.
- Ceiling Height – Before choosing your light fixture, one of the first things you’ll need to know is your ceiling height. Because most factories and warehouses have much higher ceiling heights than a traditional retail store or residential building, it’s important to understand how ceiling heights will determine what light fixture you’ll need.
- To measure ceiling height, measure the distance from the floor to the ceiling and the ceiling to the work place. Both measurements are instrumental in determining which industrial lighting type is best.
- Brightness – The larger a space, the more lumen output your lighting should have in order to distribute light more evenly. As lumens are the indicator for brightness, it’s important to look at a lighting product’s lumen output to know how many lighting fixtures you’ll need for a certain area. You may also want to consider the Illuminating Engineering Society’s (IES) recommendations for footcandle levels to ensure adequate illumination and safety for occupants. A Mars Electric lighting expert can help you make the right choice for your space.
- Automatic Sensors – Implementing an automated lighting control system into your design and layout will ensure that you’re not only using less energy overall, but that you can create custom lighting solutions that are available from your smartphone.
Full-Service Project Lighting Services
From state-of-the-art new construction to complete remodels, the dedicated project lighting teams at Mars Electric can help provide you with a complete, full-service project lighting solution for your warehouse or factory.
Using our decades-long expertise and trusted partnerships with the top lighting brands in the industry, we’re able to provide you with a complete project lighting service that includes:
- Comprehensive project management
- Proactive inventory management
- Dedicated warehouse management
- Prefab services
- Site visits
- Lighting survey audits
- And more!
To start your project lighting service, please contact our team today!
Shop Industrial LED Lighting at Mars Electric!
Find the exact industrial lighting products you need at a price you can afford, all at Mars Electric! Since 1952, we have continued to be the full-service distributor or electrical supplies and have helped thousands of electricians, contractors, and more find what they need for their job.
Our experts are available to work directly with you for each and every project. For more information on industrial lighting or to speak to one of our lighting experts, please contact us today!