Outdoor Lighting, Wiring Inspection, and Maintenance
This entry was posted on June 22, 2023
How to Give Your Outdoor Lighting an Update
Whether you’ve just completed your outdoor lighting project or are looking to find resources to keep up the maintenance, the experts at Mars Electric are here to give you our best outdoor lighting, wiring inspection, and maintenance tips.
Having regular inspections and proper maintenance strategies in place will help to ensure the safety, functionality, and overall longevity of an outdoor lighting system, thus saving time and money. Understanding how maintenance can help, with the additional, proper wiring techniques can ensure that your customers are getting the best outdoor wiring solutions possible.
To learn more about the benefits of outdoor wiring maintenance, as well as how to wire exterior lighting properly and the ultimate outdoor wiring checklist, keep reading.
The Benefits of Outside Wiring Maintenance
Performing regular maintenance on outdoor lighting is extremely beneficial – especially with outdoor wiring being constantly exposed to changing weather conditions and elements. These conditions can cause wiring to wear and tear over time, which can then lead to potential electrical hazards.
A thorough, annual inspection of the current wiring set up is always recommended as a starting point before any actual maintenance is performed. This will ensure the safety of each individual and prevent any unnecessary added cost when purchasing and putting in new outdoor lighting fixtures.
If your customer lives in an area with harsh weather conditions, however, it’s probably a safer bet to perform bi-annual maintenance checks due to factors like heavy rainfall or extreme temperatures.
How to Wire Exterior Lighting Properly
If you’re looking for a basic “how to-guide” for wiring external lighting, we’ve got you covered. The following are a few key steps to know when wiring exterior lighting, however, we always recommend speaking to a Mars Electric wiring expert if you have any preliminary questions.
Pre-Plan Your Initial Layout
Before you even begin the wiring process, it’s important to plan your initial lighting layout and outline fixture placement, wire routes, and the location of power sources. This will make your process go smoother and prevent further mistakes from occurring.
Choose the Appropriate Wiring Products
Shop for wiring products that are specifically designed for use outdoors. These types of wires are durable and protect against environmental elements, including being weather resistant and UV-stable.
Dig A Trench
To better protect your outdoor lighting and minimize the risk of any accidental damage, it’s important to dig a trench that is at least 18 inches deep in order to properly bury the wiring.
Run Wire Through Conduit
Run your wiring through conduit as this will add additional protection and shield wiring from any physical damage that can lead to moisture infiltration. Shop Mars Electric’s extensive selection of conduit products.
Connect Fixtures and Wires
Connect all lighting fixtures to their designated wiring by following the specified manufacturer’s instructions that come with each outdoor fixture. When connecting, make sure each connection is secure, using wire nuts and electrical tape as necessary.
Perform a Test on the System Once Complete
Once your outdoor lighting fixtures and wires are properly connected, it’s time to perform a test on the system, making sure any and all adjustments or repairs are completed before finalizing the installation.
The Outdoor Wiring Checklist
Once the maintenance phase is complete, it’s time to inspect any and all outdoor lighting equipment to ensure there aren’t any underlying safety issues or damages. Before inspection, it’s important to have an outdoor wiring inspection checklist that will help you stay on track and evaluate each area.
Here is a thorough checklist for checking outdoor wiring:
- Perform a Visual Inspection: Before doing any project work, examine the outdoor lighting wiring for any visible signs of damage, including frayed or exposed wires, loose connections, or corrosion.
- Check for Any Moisture: As moisture can create issues like electrical shorts, it’s important that, during inspection, you look for any signs of moisture or water intrusion near the wiring.
- Inspect Conduit and Junction Boxes: Ensure that conduit and junction boxes are securely fastened and in good condition. Check for any cracks or gaps that may expose the wiring to the elements.
- Test Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs): If your outdoor lighting system includes Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs), it’s important to have them tested regularly to ensure they are functioning at their best, as they provide protection against electrical shocks.
- Evaluate All Transformer and Power Sources: Inspect the transformer and power sources for any signs of damage or overheating. Check that the voltage output matches the requirements of the lighting system.
- Verify Proper Wire Connections: Next, examine all wire connections to ensure they are properly fastened and insulated. This is important as loose or faulty connections can lead to electrical hazards, causing further damage.
- Check Timers and Controls: If your outdoor lighting system includes timers or controls, you’ll want to verify their proper operations and test all settings to ensure they are functioning as intended.
Shop Outdoor Wiring Products at Mars Electric
Find the outdoor lighting, wiring inspection, and maintenance products you’re looking for at Mars Electric today! We understand the importance of having everything you need to perform regular maintenance and outdoor wiring inspection, which is why the experts at Mars can help you get exactly what you need, when you need it.
Our high-quality, long-lasting outdoor lighting products have been the choice for Northeastern Ohio electricians and contractors since 1952.